FGI 1811 Proseminar ( Irina Ladusseva) 2.0 AP Kab. 420
Writing a term paper
and graduation paper.
To get a pass
: one written task
, thesis statement)
Term paper should be printed
(20-25 pages long).
Graduation paper should be printed
(50-60 pages long). First
write term paper, and choose
a topic right now ( theme
of term paper later
will be developed
graduation paper). Rights
: we have a right to have a
supervisor. Supervisor writes on the front
You need time to:read the theory
regularity (1-2 hours a day deal with your paper)
The first draft of term paper
should be ready by March .
Suliko Liiv ( country study , grammar , contrastive studies , methodology)
Liliana Skopinskaja (methodology)
Jaanika Marley ( foneetika , methods)
Ene Alas (translation, methods)
Paul Rüsse ( literature (Am.,Br.), methods)
Annika Namme (American literature, methods)
Irina Ladusseva (lexicology, methods, stylistics)
Choose your topic and find a
Language needs to be very
transparent, but do not use colloquial elements and abbreviations
(e.g. I’ll, you’re). Start collecting the expressions you like
(e.g. “many” → ”the abundance” etc.)
elaborate a topic? – collaborate with supervisor (a topic has to be
narrowed down). Background studies – who else has written about
this topic (what has been already done and what else I can do here ).
Papers of this kind test logical thinking .
What is assessed:
- the ability to collect material ( both theoretical (who has written about it) and practical ;
- the ability to classify it (grouping ability);
- the ability to describe the material (“some say this …, they are not wrong , but other say that ….” Etc.);
- the ability to draw conclusions (on theoretical and practical materials);
- your personal contribution (do something that no one has done before );
- talking about the material (as if you are speaking to the first year student – avoid sophistication in language, that may sound unnatural). Comment on examples (from where the example is taken – how it is used – explain all).
You have right to:
BUT! Supervisor does not have to correct your language.
- Supervisor discusses and specifies the topic with you;
- Supervisor gives a tutorial – where the supervisor sets general directions for your paper and recommends a book (source) for your study;
- Supervisor reads your rough sketch (and if necessary checks faults);
The talk at the defense : a kind
supervisor gets together with you and makes together your talk.
start reading literature – do not trust every word you see. Often
we need a second opinion ( usually of your Supervisor or ask a more
competent person ). Where to get second opinion – use our audience ,
or if writing on literature –
Bibliography: the sources you have
sited in your work :
10-15 sources (1 page),
-graduation paper (2 pages of
At the defense aspects that are considered are:
Will be checked student’s
ability to classify, to describe material, to draw conclusions (e.g.
you give an example and then comment on it).
- your own contribution (whether it is there and is sufficient)
- theory (you should have at least 6-10 connected pages discussing the state of the art)
- mechanics (the layout of the paper: font size 12, double space , etc.)
- answering questions
- performance (pronounce distinctly, make good impression, no language mistakes, etc.)
- extra linguistic part (how you stand , how you speak , etc.).
Internet sources: it is nice to have some Internet sources to
show your sophistication, but not too many of them , because they are
not very reliable.
As you start reading sources –
do it systematically:
Go to library
use books , published sources (they are published so they are
reliable) use Internet at
least. In library make separate card for every publication ( author ,
year of publication, etc.). You start reading a book: think of your
own topic and make notes (take a sheet of paper for a book: in the left hand margin you indicate the page, on the right hand write a quotation you wish to use, or “in pages 10 to 12 the author
analyses …. and ……”. You should use
quotation marks when you take some author’s ideas , but your
own comment should be without quotation marks.
- font size 12
- lines double spaced
- Times New Roman
- margins (one left side margin should be 3cm, all other (up, down, and right) 1.5 cm)
- the page number should be in the right hind corner (upside) NB! It should be within those 1.5 cm – no special space. And no “p.” letter !
- on the right side the text should be justified
- title page is not numbered but it counts as a page, so the next page is number 2
- use only white paper (not yellow